This tutorial will guide you on how to find index of an element in a list using lists data structures in Python programming language.
Find index of an element in a list – Python
Below example shows how to find index of an element in a list of integers.
numbers = [4, 6, 10, 24, 28, 30] numbers.index(10) 2
Note, the syntax for list.index is as follows:
list.index(x[, start[, end]])
It returns zero-based index in the list of first item whose value is x. If there is no such element specified, this method will throw ValueError as shown below.
>>> numbers.index(101) Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> ValueError: 101 is not in list
If the value x is repeated more than once in the list, then you can use start and end indices to find the required index.
# 4 is repeated thrice in the list >>> num = [4, 6, 4, 10, 24, 4, 28, 30] >>> num.index(4) 0 #find next 4 starting from a position 1 >>> num.index(4, 1) 2 #find next 4 starting from a position 3 >>> num.index(4, 3) 5
Note, the arguments start and end are optional as we saw in slice notation. And they are used to limit our search to a particular sub-sequence of the given list.
Similarly, you can find index of an item in a list (string array) as shown below.
strArray = ['apple', 'boy', 'cat', 'dog', 'elephant'] strArray.index('cat') 2
Time Complexity – list.index()
When you call list.index() it checks every element of the list in order until it finds the value specified. Therefore, if your list is long and you don’t know roughly the next occurrence of the value, then the search will become a bottleneck and it takes more time.
Hence you should consider different data structure if the given list is lengthy.
That’s it. You had learnt how to find index of an element in a list using Python programming language.
Hope it is helpful 🙂
You’ll also like:
- Convert list of lists to flat list – flatten list in Python ?
- String Formatting in Python – Examples
- Single digit number to double digits string conversion in Python
- String Immutability with Examples in Python
- Python Program to Check Given Number is Odd or Even
- Increase the cell width of the Jupyter Notebook in browser
- Add python3 kernel to jupyter IPython notebook ?
- Programs to Print Patterns – Pyramid, Triangle using Star
- How to change the default theme in Jupyter Notebook ?
- Change the Jupyter Notebook startup folder in Windows & Mac
- To run Jupyter Notebook on Windows from command line
- String Slicing in Python with Examples
- Python program to find the greatest of three numbers
- How to check if the given list is empty in Python ?
- String indexing in Python with Examples
- Embed HTML within IPython Notebook
- Remove non-numeric characters from string in Python
- Install Python 3 on Windows 10 machine
- Convert negative to positive number in Python
- Create list of lists in Python
- Extract numbers from a string in python
- How to access index and value in for loop – Python?
- Python Lists with Examples