What is VMware ESXi and vSphere Client ?
VMware ESXi is an enterprise-class type-1 hypervisor developed by VMware for deploying and serving virtual machines.
The vSphere client is a Windows program that you can use to configure the ESXi host and to create and operate its virtual machines.
Download and install the vSphere client:
You can download vSphere client from any ESXi host.
- You must have the URL of the ESXi host, which is the IP address or host name.
- The ESXi system must have an Internet connection.
- From a Windows machine, open a Web browser.
- Enter the URL or IP address for the host as shown in the picture below.
- Click Download the vSphere Client under Getting Started
- Click Save to download the vSphere Client installer.
- The vSphere Client installer is downloaded to the system. Then install the vSphere client.
Create and configure VM’s on the VMware ESXi server using vSphere client:
- Start the vSphere client and log in to the ESXi host.
- Once you login then you would see the below screen.
- Then select the host from the inventory panel. Then go to File -> New -> Virtual Machine. It would launch “Configuration” Page as shown below. Select configuration type as “Typical” and continue.
- Name and Location: Provide the unique name for the virtual machine.
- Storage: Select the destination storage for the virtual machine files.
- Guest Operating System: Specify the guest operating system to use with this virtual machine.
- Network: Specify which network connections will be used with by the virtual machine. You can also continue with default “Network” and “Adapter”.
- Create a Disk: Select “Virtual disk size” and “Thin Provision”
- Ready To Complete: Review the settings for the new virtual machine and click finish. New virtual machine will be created. But note: Creation of VM does not include automatic installation of guest operating system. Install a guest OS (Ubuntu) on the VM after creating the VM.